- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
NOTEAlways turn the ignition OFF when connecting or disconnecting battery cables, battery chargers, or jumper cables. Failing to do so may damage the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or other electronic components.
NOTEThe battery is located beneath the rear seat cushion.
- Recover the refrigerant, as outlined in this section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Support the front of the cradle with a floor jack.
- Remove the right front cradle bolt and lower the cradle.
Remove the idler pulley and bolt.
NOTESeal the A/C compressor suction and discharge ports after the hoses are removed in order to keep the A/C compressor oil from draining out of the compressor during removal.
All A/C lines, hoses and components should be sealed after removal in order to avoid excessive moisture contamination to the A/C system during servicing.
Suction hose fitting from the compressor
- Remove the upper alternator mounting bolts and position the alternator out of the way in order to access the compressor mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the compressor electrical connector.
- Remove the upper compressor mounting bolts.
- Position the alternator and install the idler pulley bolt to hold it in place.
- Remove the compressor from the engine block.
- Rotate the compressor, in order to allow the A/C compressor to exit through the wheelhouse opening.
Remove the compressor from the vehicle.
- Install the A/C compressor through the wheelhouse opening and position on the front and rear studs.
- Remove the alternator idler pulley bolt and position out of the way.
Install and hand tighten the bolts and nuts.
- Tighten the A/C compressor front nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Tighten the A/C compressor mounting bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Tighten the A/C compressor rear nut to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Connect the compressor electrical connector.
Install the alternator mounting bolts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
NOTEInspect the seal washers for damage before reinstalling the A/C lines and hoses. If any damage is noted during inspection, the suspect seal must be replaced. Flat washer type seals do not require lubrication.
- Connect the discharge hose fitting to compressor and tighten the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Connect the suction hose fitting to the compressor and tighten the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Install the idler pulley and bolt.
- Raise the right front cradle and install the bolt and tighten to 141 ft. lbs. (191 Nm)
- Install the drive belt.
- Install the right (rear) side AIR pump.
- Install the facia extension.
- Install the front air deflector.
- Reinstall the right front tire and wheel assembly.
- Recharge the A/C system, as outlined in this section.
- Leak test the fittings of the component, as outlined in this section.