Removal & Installation
3.5L & 4.0L Engines with a Cartridge Type Seal
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Engine and transmission assembly
Remove the seal as follows:
- Place Seal Removal tool J-42841 onto the crankshaft.
- Install 8, 1-inch self starting screws through the guide holes of the tool and into the seal. A variable speed drill will be helpful for installing the screws.
- Tighten the center screw of the tool to remove the seal.
Clean out the drain at the bottom of the seal bore with a piece of wire or pipe cleaner.
- Apply a small amount of RTV gasket maker at the crankcase split line across the end of the upper and lower crankcase seal.
- Coat the outer diameter of the rear crankshaft seal area with engine oil.
- Wipe the outer diameter of the crankshaft flexplate flange with a lint-free cloth.
- Lubricate the outer rubber surface of the seal with clean engine oil. DO NOT app