Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
NOTEAlways turn the ignition OFF when connecting or disconnecting battery cables, battery chargers, or jumper cables. Failing to do so may damage the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or other electronic components.
NOTEThe battery is located beneath the rear seat cushion.
- Disable the air bag system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Apply the parking brake.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Cluster trim plate bezel
Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to RUN.
If the keys are unavailable or the ignition lock cylinder is seized proceed with the following:
Remove the fasteners securing the ignition switch to the retainer.
- If the keys are unavailable or the ignition lock cylinder is seized proceed with the following:
- Look through the radio opening in the IP retainer and locate the release button on the side of the ignition switch.
- Depress and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining tab, located on the right lower side of the ignition switch, using a flat-bladed tool or other suitable tool.
- Pull outward on the ignition cylinder in order to remove the cylinder from the ignition switch.
Remove the reader/exciter module from the ignition lock cylinder.
- Install the reader/exciter module to the ignition lock cylinder.
- Turn the new ignition lock cylinder to the run position.
- Turn the ignition switch to the run position.
- Slowly push the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch until fully seated. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 1/4 inch hole previously drill in the ignition switch housing.
- Reinstall the ignition switch.
- Position the ignition lock cylinder with the key installed into the opening in the ignition switch.
- Press the ignition lock cylinder into place. The lock cylinder retaining tab will produce an audible click when fully seated.
- Using light force, pull on the lock cylinder in order to ensure the lock cylinder is engaged and secured in place.
- Install the HVAC control module assembly.
- Install the radio.
- Install the IP cluster trim plate bezel.
- Install the IP center trim plate.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect the ignition switch for proper operation in all positions.
- Release the parking brake.
- Enable the air bag system.