- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
NOTEAlways turn the ignition OFF when connecting or disconnecting battery cables, battery chargers, or jumper cables. Failing to do so may damage the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or other electronic components.
NOTEThe battery is located beneath the rear seat cushion.
- Disable the SRS system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTENote the mark on the steering shaft and the steering wheel in order to ensure proper alignment during installation.
Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module
Remove the steering wheel using special tools J 42578 and the J 1859-A or a suitable steering wheel press.
- Route the wiring through the steering wheel.
- Align the mark on the steering wheel with the mark on the shaft.
- Install the steering wheel and tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm)
- Install the mass damper and tighten the screws to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm)
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Enable the SIR system.