Removal & Installation
The fuel system pressure must be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Relieve the fuel pressure from the fuel lines.
- Drain the engine coolant.
- With the ignition switch in the LOCK position, disconnect the negative battery terminal. If equipped with an air bag system, wait at least 90 seconds or longer before performing any other work.
- Remove the air cleaner cap assembly and air filter.
Remove the V-bank cover.
Remove the air intake chamber assembly as follows:
Disconnect the following connectors and cables:
- Remove the power steering pressure tube from the No. 1 engine hanger by removing the 2 bolts.
Disconnect the following hoses, clamps, and cables:
Brake booster vacuum hose from the intake air control valve for the ACIS
2 bypass hoses from the throttle body
- Remove the 2 bolts and the No. 1 engine hanger.
- Remove the 2 bolts and the air intake chamber stay.
- Remove the No. 2 EGR pipe and 2 gaskets by removing the 4 nuts.
- Disconnect the hose from the VSV from the EVAP.
- Using an 8mm hexagon wrench, remove the 2 bolts, 2 nuts, air intake chamber assembly and gasket.
- Disconnect the following connectors and cables:
- Disconnect the fuel injector connectors.
- Remove the air assist hoses and pipe.
- Disconnect the fuel return hose from the No. 1 fuel pipe.
Disconnect the fuel inlet hose from the fuel filter.
NOTECatch any fuel leaking from the filter in a shop rag. Dispose of the rag properly.
- Remove the delivery pipes and injectors from the engine.
- Remove the heater hoses from the intake manifold.
- Remove the intake manifold assembly.
Remove the water outlet:
Disconnect these connectors and hoses:
ECT sender gauge connector
- Remove the 2 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 plate washers.
- Disconnect the water bypass hose, and remove the water outlet.
- Remove the 2 gaskets.
- Disconnect these connectors and hoses:
- Remove the alternator drive belt.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Remove the ignition coils and spark plugs.
- Remove the timing belt.
Remove the camshaft timing pulleys.
- Remove the No. 2 idler pulley.
- Remove the No. 3 timing belt cover.
Disconnect the engine wire protector:
- Disconnect the engine wire from rear side. Remove the 2 nuts, and disconnect the engine wire protector from the right-hand cylinder head and water inlet.
- Disconnect the engine wire from right-hand side. Remove the 5 nuts, and disconnect the engine wire and protector from the right-hand cylinder head.
- Disconnect the engine wire from left-hand side. Remove the 2 bolts, and disconnect the engine wire protector from the left-hand cylinder head.
Disconnect the cylinder head rear plate from the left-hand cylinder head.
- Disconnect the water inlet pipe from the water inlet. Remove the O-ring.
- Remove the No 1 EGR pipe.
Remove the exhaust manifolds and the power steering pump bracket.
- Remove the camshaft position sensor.
Remove the dipstick assembly.
- Remove the valve covers.
Remove the camshafts. Refer to Camshaft & Valve Lifters, Removal & Installation.
Remove the 2 (1 on each head) 8mm recessed hex bolts. Loosen and remove the 8 head bolts evenly, in 3 passes, in the reverse order of the installation sequence.
Remove the cylinder head gasket. With a gasket scraper, carefully remove all the old gasket material from the cylinder head and engine block surfaces.
- Place the new cylinder head gasket onto the cylinder block. Place the cylinder head onto the gasket.
Coat the threads with clean engine oil and install the bolts into the cylinder head. Tighten the bolts in sequence in 3 steps to an ultimate torque of 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), using the proper sequence.
- Tighten each bolt, in proper sequence, then an additional 90 degrees.
- Coat the threads of the 2 remaining 8mm bolts with engine oil and install them. Tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Install the camshafts following the proper sequences and procedures.
- Check and adjust the valves.
- Apply sealant to the cylinder heads where the camshaft supports meet the cylinder heads.
- Install all remaining components in reverse of removal using the diagrams for the proper torque figure.