Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Release the fuel system pressure.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
Disconnect the battery cables, negative cable first.
NOTEOn vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Matchmark the hood hinges and remove the hood.
- Remove the battery and battery tray.
- Drain the engine oil and cooling system.
- Disconnect the accelerator and throttle cables.
- Remove the cruise control actuator, if equipped.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, mass air flow meter and air cleaner hose.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe. Refer to Catalytic Converter Removal & Installation.
- Remove the bolts and disconnect the engine relay box.
Remove the cover and disconnect the connectors and fusible link block from the relay box.
- Disconnect the windshield wiper motor connector.
- Disconnect the igniter connector from the left-hand fender apron.
- Disconnect the noise filter connector from the left-hand fender apron.
- Disconnect the ground strap connectors from the left-hand and right-hand fender aprons.
- Disconnect the engine room main wire connectors from the left-hand fender apron.
- Disconnect the ground cable from the battery body bracket.
- Disconnect the engine wire protector clamp from the battery body bracket.
- Disconnect the engine wire clamp from the fuel filter.
- Disconnect the engine wire clamp from bracket from the right-hand fender apron.
- Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose from the air intake chamber.
- Disconnect the engine coolant reservoir hose from the water outlet.
- Disconnect the heater hose from the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the heater hose from the water inlet housing.
- Disconnect the fuel inlet hose from the fuel filter.
- Disconnect the EVAP hose from the pipe on the emission control valve set.
- Disconnect the EVAP hose from the charcoal canister.
- Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the engine.
- Remove the instrument panel undercover, the lower instrument panel and glove box assembly.
Disconnect the Engine Control Module (ECM) connectors, the cowl wire connectors, and the cooling fan ECM connector. Push the engine wire through the cowl panel.
- Remove the halfshafts from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the air conditioning compressor without disconnecting the hoses.
- Disconnect the transaxle control cable from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure tube.
- Remove the power steering pump.
Disconnect the transaxle from the left-hand engine mounting insulator by removing the bolts.
Remove the rear engine mounting bracket by removing the hole plugs, then removing the nuts.
Remove the 4 bolts and the engine mounting absorber.
Disconnect the front engine mounting insulator from the front frame by removing the 3 bolts.
Attach a hoist chain to the engine hangers.
- Disconnect the coolant reservoir hose and remove the reservoir tank.
Remove the 3 bolts, ground strap and right-hand engine mounting stay.
Remove the 3 bolts, engine moving control rod and the No. 2 right-hand mounting bracket.
NOTEMake certain all wires, connectors and hoses are cleared from the engine.
- Using an engine hoist, carefully lift the engine/transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
Carefully lower the engine and transaxle assembly into the engine compartment. Keep the engine level while aligning the engine mounts.
- Install the engine control rod and bracket. Tighten the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install the right engine mount stay bracket. Tighten the bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Install the front engine mounting insulator. Tighten the bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the engine mounting shock absorber. Tighten the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install the rear engine mounting insulator. Tighten the nuts to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm).
- Install the left-hand engine mounting insulator. Tighten the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Remove the engine sling device.
- Connect the transaxle control cable to the transaxle.
- Install the power steering pump and connect the power steering pressure tube.
- Install the air conditioning compressor.
- Install the halfshafts.
- Push the engine wires through the cowl panel and connect all wires and connectors.
- Connect the fuel hoses and heater hoses.
- Connect all vacuum hoses, wiring and connectors.
- Connect the engine wire to the engine compartment relay box.
- Install the front exhaust pipe
- Install the radiator.
- Install the cruise control actuator, if equipped.
- Install the Mass Air Flow meter, the air cleaner assembly, and air cleaner hose.
- Install the throttle cable and accelerator cable.
- Fill the cooling system with the proper coolant/water mixture. Fill the engine with engine oil.
- Install the battery tray and battery. Connect the battery cables; negative cable last.
- Align the marks and install the hood.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Perform a road test.
- Recheck all fluid levels.