Diagnosis & Testing
Inspect the mirror switch continuity. If continuity is not as specified, replace the switch.
Inspect the mirror motor operation:
- Connect the positive lead from the battery to terminal 3 and negative lead to terminal 2, check that the mirror turns upward.
Reverse the polarity, and check that the mirror turns downward.
- Connect the positive lead from the battery to terminal 1 and negative lead to terminal 2, check that the mirror turns left side.
Reverse the polarity, and check that the mirror turns right side.
- If operation is not as specified, replace the mirror.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
Remove the delta cover (the triangular black inner cover). It can be removed with a blunt plastic or wooden tool. Don't use a metal prytool; the plastic will be marred.
- Depending on the style of mirror, there may be concealment plugs or other minor parts under the delta cover. Remove them.
- Depending on the type of door trim, you may need to remove the door inner panel to access the electrical wiring harness for the mirror.
- Support the mirror housing from the outside and remove the three bolts or nuts holding the mirror to the door.
- If the wiring to the electric mirror was not disconnected previously, detach it now. Some connectors can only be reached after the mirror is free of the door.
- Remove the mirror assembly.
- Fit the mirror to the door and install the nuts and bolts to hold it. Connect the wiring harnesses if they are on the outside of the door. Pay particular attention to the placement and alignment of any gaskets or weatherstrips around the mirror to prevent wind noise.
- If the wiring connectors are on the inside of the door, plug them back together and install any concealment plugs, dust boots or seals. Attach the door inner panel if removed.
- Install the delta cover and install the control lever, if it was removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Cycle the mirror several times to make sure that it works properly.