Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Position the front wheels straight ahead.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
- Remove the steering wheel pad. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), Driver-s Air Bag Removal & Installation, in the Chassis Electrical section.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Remove the left-hand and right-hand front fender apron seals by removing the 2 bolts.
- Disconnect the left-hand and right-hand tie rod ends.
- Place matchmarks on the intermediate shaft and the control valve shaft.
Loosen the upper bolt and remove the lower bolt holding the control valve shaft to the intermediate shaft. Disconnect the intermediate shaft from steering rack housing.
- Remove the nut to the tube clamp. Remove the clamp from the vehicle.
Using SST 09631-22020 or equivalent tool, disconnect the pressure feed and return tubes.
- Remove the 4 stabilizer bar bolts and 2 nuts. Position the stabilizer bar out of the way. Do not remove the bar from the vehicle.
- Remove the heated oxygen sensor (Bank1, Sensor 1), and disconnect the connector.
- Remove the 2 steering gear mounting bolts and nuts. Lift up the stabilizer bar and remove the bolts.
- Remove the steering gear.
- Install the gear assembly from the left-hand of the vehicle and tighten the nuts and bolts to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm). Lift up the stabilizer bar and install the bolts.
- Install the oxygen sensor. Tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm). Connect the connector.
- Connect the stabilizer bar. Tighten the 4 bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm), and the 2 nuts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Using SST 09631-22020 or equivalent tool, connect the pressure feed and return tubes and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 11.81 in. (300 mm).
- Connect the tube clamp and tighten the nut to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the intermediate shaft assembly.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the knuckles.
- Install the front fender apron seals by installing the 2 bolts.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Center the spiral cable.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Bleed the power steering system.
- Check the steering wheel center point.
- Torque the steering wheel set nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel pad.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the wheel alignment and adjust as necessary.