Toyota Avalon 1995-1996
- Remove the shock absorber assembly with coil spring out from under the vehicle.
Install 2 nuts and a bolt to the bracket at the lower part of the shock absorber and secure it in a vice.
Using a coil spring compressor, such as 09727-30021 or equivalent, compress the coil spring. Do not use an impact wrench, it will damage the compression tool.
Remove the cap from the suspension support. Using a retaining tool to hold the seat, such as 09729-22031 or equivalent, remove the nut.
Remove the following components:
- Install the lower insulator. Attach the spring bumper to the piston rod.
Using the compressor tool, such as 09727-30021 or equivalent, compress the coil spring. Install the coil spring to the shock absorber.
NOTEFit the lower end of the coil spring into the gap of the spring seat of the shock absorber.
- Light coat lithium or silicon based grease to the upper insulator and suspension upper support.
Install the upper insulator to the upper support. Match the bolt of the upper support with the cut-off part of the insulator.
- Install the upper support and piston rod.
- Using the retaining tool, such as 09729-22031 to hold the spring seat, install a new nut. Tighten the nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
Rotate the upper support and set it in the direction shown in the illustration. Remove the compressor tool, then check the direction of the upper support.
- Install the cap.
- Pack the upper suspension support with MP grease.
- Install the coil and shock absorber assembly into the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
Toyota Avalon 1995-1996
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the rear seat cushion and any trim necessary to access the strut towers.
- Loosen the lug nuts to the wheel on the side being serviced.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Support the axle beam with a jack.
- Remove the wheel on the side being serviced.
If equipped with ABS, disconnect the sensor wire from the strut.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the strut.
- Loosen the fasteners securing the strut to the axle carrier. Do not remove the bolts at this time.
- Support the axle carrier with a jack.
Remove the cap.
- Loosen the nut in the center of the suspension support. Do not remove it.
- Remove the 3 suspension support nuts.
- Lower the rear axle carrier and remove the 2 bolts.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut on the vehicle and install the nuts to hold the strut to the strut tower. Tighten the nuts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Tighten the nut in the center of the suspension support to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Connect the strut to the axle carrier and install the bolt and nut. Do not tighten at this time.
- Connect the stabilizer link to the strut.
- Install the wheel. Bounce the vehicle up and down to stabilize the suspension.
- With the vehicle weight on the suspension, tighten the bolt holding the strut to the axle carrier to 188 ft. lbs. (255 Nm).
- Install the rear seat cushion and any applicable trim.