- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
- Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the splash shield from the right side frame rail.
- Remove the accessory drive belt.
Disconnect the engine wire harness (1) from the compressor control valve (2).
- Remove the nuts (4) that secure the A/C discharge line (5) and the A/C suction line (6) to the A/C compressor (3).
- Disconnect the A/C discharge and suction lines from the A/C compressor and remove and discard the O-ring seals and gaskets.
Support the A/C compressor (1) and remove the three bolts (2) that secure the compressor to the engine and remove the compressor.
- Install plugs in, or tape over the opened refrigerant line fittings and compressor ports.
- If the A/C compressor is being replaced, 2.1 ounces (60 milliliters) of refrigerant oil must first be drained from the new A/C compressor. When replacing multiple A/C system components, see the Refrigerant Oil Capacities chart to determine how much oil should be added to the refrigerant system. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the A/C compressor in the vehicle.
- Position the A/C compressor into the engine compartment.
- Install the three bolts that secure the A/C compressor to the engine. Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Remove the tape or plugs from the compressor ports and the refrigerant line fittings.
- Lubricate new rubber O-ring seals with clean refrigerant oil and install them and new gaskets onto the refrigerant line fittings. Use only the specified O-rings as they are made of a special material for the R-134a system. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the A/C compressor in the vehicle.
- Connect the A/C discharge line and the A/C suction line to the A/C compressor.
- Install the nuts that secure the A/C suction and discharge lines to the A/C compressor. Tighten the nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the engine wire harness to the control valve.
- Install the accessory drive belt.
- Install the splash shield onto the right side frame rail.
- Lower the vehicle.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONDo NOT run the engine with a vacuum pump in operation or with a vacuum present within the A/C system. Failure to follow this caution will result in serious A/C compressor damage.
- Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system.