Removal & Installation
Chrysler Sebring 2008-2009
Dodge Avenger 2008-2009
Remove engine cover (1) by pulling upward.
- Perform fuel system pressure release procedure.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
- Drain cooling system.
Remove clean air hose and air cleaner housing (2).
Remove coolant recovery bottle (1).
- Remove and reposition power steering reservoir (2).
- Remove accessory drive belt.
Remove power steering hose hold down (3).
Remove the three power steering pump mounting bolts (1) through the openings in the pulley (3) and reposition the pump.
Remove the cylinder head cover.
- Remove ignition coils from the cylinder head cover.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the frame cover portion of the right splash shield.
Set engine to TDC (1).
- Remove lower A/C compressor bolts if equipped.
Remove lower A/C compressor mount (2) if equipped.
Remove accessory drive belt lower idler pulley (2).
Remove crankshaft damper (2).
- Remove three bolts and water pump pulley (4) from water pump.
- Remove lower bolt from right side engine mount bracket (1).
Remove timing chain cover lower bolts (1).
- Remove exhaust manifold.
- Lower vehicle.
- Support engine with suitable jack.
Remove right engine mount bracket retaining bolts (4).
- Remove retaining nuts (2) and reposition mount bracket (1).
Remove accessory drive upper idler pulley (1).
Remove right upper engine mount bracket (1).
- Remove accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Remove upper timing chain cover retaining bolts.
Remove timing chain cover using pry points (1, 2, 3).
Remove tensioner (5) and timing chain (2).
- Remove timing chain guide (4) and timing chain pivot guide (6).
Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.
Unlock and disconnect the electrical connectors from the fuel injectors.
Remove two fuel rail retaining bolts and remove fuel rail.
Disconnect electrical connectors from coolant temperature sensor (1), oil temperature sensor, variable valve timing solenoids, camshaft position sensors, MAP sensor, manifold tuning valve, ignition interference suppressor (2) and electronic throttle control.
Remove wiring harness retainer from intake manifold (2) and reposition harness.
- Remove throttle body support bracket (1).
- Disconnect vacuum lines at intake.
Remove intake manifold retaining bolts and remove intake manifold.
Remove four bolts and reposition coolant adapter (3).
Remove ground strap at right rear of cylinder head if equipped.
NOTECamshaft bearing caps should have been marked during engine manufacturing. For example, number one exhaust camshaft bearing is marked "E1>".
CAUTIONDO NOT use a number stamp or a punch to mark camshaft bearing caps. Damage to bearing caps could occur.
- Using a permanent ink or paint marker, identify location and position on each camshaft bearing cap.
- Remove the front camshaft bearing cap.
- Slowly remove the remaining intake and exhaust camshaft bearing cap bolts one turn at a time.
Remove the camshafts.
NOTEAll of the cylinder head bolts have captured washers EXCEPT the front two (1).
- Remove cylinder head bolts and two uncaptured washers.
- Remove cylinder head from engine block.
Inspect and clean cylinder head and block sealing surfaces.
NOTEEnsure cylinder head bolt holes in the block are clean, dry (free of residual oil or coolant), and threads are not damaged.
The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts must be replaced.