Removal & Installation
Chrysler Sebring 2008-2009
Dodge Avenger 2008-2009
- Remove the engine cover.
- Perform the fuel pressure release procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain cooling system.
Remove air cleaner element housing.
- Remove radiator fan assembly.
Remove the coolant recovery container.
- Remove the alternator.
Disconnect the fuel line (1) at the fuel rail (2).
Remove the upper intake manifold.
Remove the fuel rail.
Remove the lower intake manifold.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the left exhaust manifold.
- Remove right front tire.
- Remove right inner splash shield.
- Remove vibration damper (5).
- Remove lower accessory drive belt idler pulley (6).
- Remove the power steering mounting bolts and set the pump aside.
Remove lower outer timing belt cover bolts.
- Remove the support and lower vehicle.
Remove the upper accessory drive belt idler pulley (2).
- Remove the belt tensioner.
- Support the engine with a block of wood and a floor jack.
- Remove the upper engine mount.
- Remove the power steering reservoir bolts and set reservoir aside.
Remove the remaining outer timing belt cover bolts and remove cover.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the left cylinder head cover to cylinder head ground strap.
- Remove the left cylinder head cover.
Remove the left rocker arm assembly (2).
Hold the left cam gear and loosen the cam gear retaining bolt.
- Remove the front timing belt housing to cylinder head bolts.
Remove the left camshaft thrust plate.
Carefully push the camshaft out of the back of the cylinder head approximately 3.5 inches. Remove the camshaft sprocket and bolt.
NOTEIt may be necessary to raise the engine slightly in order to remove the camshaft sprocket bolt.
Remove the cylinder head bolts in REVERSE of tightening sequence.
- Remove the cylinder head.
- Clean and inspect all mating surfaces.
Clean sealing surfaces of cylinder head and block.
CAUTIONThe cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable between cylinder heads and are clearly marked right or left.
Install head gasket over locating dowels. Ensure the gasket is installed on the correct side of engine.
The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts must be replaced.
Necking can be checked by holding a scale or straight edge against the threads. If all the threads do not contact the scale the bolt must be replaced.
- Install the cylinder head over locating dowels and finger tighten the head bolts.
Tighten the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown.
Using the 4 step torque-turn method, tighten according to the following torque values:
Step 1: All to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
- Bolt torque after 90° turn should be over 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm) in the tightening direction. If not, replace the bolt.
- Install the inner timing cover to cylinder head bolts. Tighten bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Apply light coat of clean engine oil to the camshaft oil seal lip and Special Tool 6788 Seal Protector Sleeve.
Install oil seal Special Tool 6788 Seal Protector Sleeve onto the camshaft and install the camshaft into the cylinder head.
NOTEWhen installing the camshaft into the cylinder head, you must insert the seal protector through the camshaft seal until the camshaft seats, then remove Special Tool 6788 from the camshaft.
- Install camshaft sprocket. Hold the camshaft sprocket gear and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 85 ft. lbs. plus a 1 / 4 turn (115 Nm plus a 1 / 4 turn).
- Install the rear camshaft thrust plate.
Rotate the camshaft gear to its alignment mark and check the right camshaft gear and crankshaft gear timing alignment marks.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the tensioner.
- Install the timing belt front cover.
- Install the power steering reservoir.
- Install the vibration damper.
- Install the upper engine mount.
- Install the accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Install the lower accessory drive belt idler pulley.
- Install the left exhaust manifold.
- Install the exhaust cross over pipe.
- Install the left rocker arm assembly.
- Install the left cylinder head cover and ground strap.
- Install lower intake manifold.
- Install the fuel rail.
- Install the upper intake manifold.
- Connect the fuel line to the fuel rail.
- Install the radiator cooling fan assembly.
- Install the radiator core support.
- Install the radiator close out panel.
- Install the air cleaner housing.
- Install the engine cover.
- Fill the coolant system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.