Removal & Installation
Chrysler Sebring 2008-2009
Dodge Avenger 2008-2009
- Remove the engine cover.
- Perform the fuel pressure release procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain cooling system.
Remove air cleaner element housing.
- Remove the air inlet hose at the throttle body (1).
- Disconnect the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor wiring harness connector (2).
- Disconnect the air circulation hose at the element housing (5).
- Remove the housing retaining bolt (4).
- Pull housing up and off of the locating pin.
- Remove element housing from vehicle.
Remove the coolant recovery container (1).
- Remove the alternator.
Disconnect the fuel line (1) at the fuel rail (2).
Remove the upper intake manifold (2).
Remove the fuel rail.
Remove the lower intake manifold (1).
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove right exhaust manifold.
- Remove right front tire.
- Remove right inner splash shield.
Remove vibration damper (5).
- Remove lower accessory drive belt idler pulley (6).
Remove lower outer timing belt cover bolts.
- Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
Remove the upper accessory drive belt idler pulley (2).
- Remove the belt tensioner.
- Support the engine with a block of wood and a floor jack.
- Remove the upper engine mount.
- Remove the power steering reservoir bolts and set reservoir aside.
Remove the remaining outer timing belt cover bolts and cover.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the right valve cover to cylinder head ground strap.
Remove the EGR valve (1) and tube assembly (2).
- Remove the right cylinder head cover.
Remove the right rocker arm and shaft assembly (2).
Hold the cam gear and loosen the right cam gear retaining bolt.
Remove the inner timing cover to right cylinder head retaining bolts.
Remove the right rear camshaft thrust plate (1).
Carefully push the camshaft out of the back of the cylinder head approximately 3.5 inches. Remove the camshaft sprocket and bolt.
NOTEIt may be necessary to raise the engine slightly in order to remove the camshaft sprocket bolt.
Remove the cylinder head bolts in REVERSE of tightening sequence.
NOTEBecause of clearance restrictions when removing the right cylinder head, the front four cylinder head bolts must be loosened, raised and supported with rubber bands before the cylinder head can be removed.
- Remove the cylinder head.
- Clean and inspect all mating surfaces.
Clean sealing surfaces of cylinder head and block.
CAUTIONThe cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable between cylinder heads and are clearly marked right or left.
Install head gasket over locating dowels. Ensure the gasket is installed on the correct side of engine.
The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts must be replaced..
Necking can be checked by holding a scale or straight edge against the threads. If all the threads do not contact the scale the bolt must be replaced.
- Insert the front four cylinder head bolts into the cylinder head. Pull the bolts up to the top of their travel and retain with rubber bands.
- Install the cylinder head over locating dowels and finger tighten the head bolts.
Tighten the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown.
Using the 4 step torque-turn method, tighten according to the following torque values:
Step 1: All to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
- Bolt torque after 90° turn should be over 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm) in the tightening direction. If not, replace the bolt.
- Install the inner timing cover to cylinder head bolts. Tighten bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Apply light coat of clean engine oil to the camshaft oil seal lip and Special Tool 6788 Seal Protector Sleeve.
Install oil seal Special Tool 6788 Seal Protector Sleeve onto the camshaft.
NOTEWhen installing the camshaft (1) into the cylinder head (4), you must insert the seal protector (2) through the camshaft seal (3) until the camshaft seats, then remove Special Tool 6788 (2) from the camshaft.
- Install camshaft sprocket. Hold the camshaft sprocket gear and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 75 ft. lbs. plus a 1 / 4 (102 Nm plus a 1 / 4 turn).
- Install the rear camshaft thrust plate.
Rotate the camshaft gear to the timing mark (1) and verify the left camshaft gear (1) and crankshaft gear timing marks (2) are aligned.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the tensioner.
- Install the timing belt outer cover.
- Install the power steering reservoir.
- Install the vibration damper.
- Install the upper engine mount.
- Install the accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Install the lower accessory drive belt idler pulley.
- Install the right exhaust manifold.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Install the exhaust cross over pipe.
- Install the catalytic converter and exhaust system.
- Connect both oxygen sensors.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the right rocker arm assembly.
- Install the right cylinder head cover and ground strap.
- Install the EGR valve and tube assembly.
- Install lower intake manifold.
- Install the fuel rail.
- Install the upper intake manifold.
- Connect the fuel line to the fuel rail.
- Install the air cleaner housing.
- Install the engine cover.
- Fill the coolant system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.