Removal & Installation
Chrysler Sebring 2008-2009
Dodge Avenger 2008-2009
Remove engine cover (1).
Perform fuel pressure release procedure, then disconnect and remove fuel line (3).
- Remove make-up air hose (2).
Remove air cleaner housing assembly (1).
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Discharge air conditioning system, if equipped.
- Drain cooling system.
Remove coolant reservoir (1).
- Remove power steering reservoir (2).
Remove power steering line support at engine mount (1).
- Remove power steering pump and set aside.
Remove coolant hoses from coolant adapter (3).
- Disconnect coolant temperature sensor connector (1) and capacitor connector (2).
Disconnect coils (1), injectors (4), cam sensors, oil temperature sensor, and oil control valve electrical connectors and reposition harness.
- Remove PCV hose (5) from valve cover.
Remove harness from intake (2).
- Remove throttle body support bracket (1).
- Remove vacuum lines from throttle body and intake manifold.
- Disconnect electronic throttle control and manifold flow control valve electrical connectors.
- Remove dipstick.
Remove intake bolts and remove intake manifold.
- Disconnect coolant temperature sensor at block, knock sensor, oil pressure sensor, alternator, starter, block heater (if equipped), A/C compressor (if equipped), and block ground.
- Remove accessory drive belt.
- Raise vehicle.
- Remove front splash shield.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold bolts (1).
- Disconnect oxygen sensor connector (3).
- Remove exhaust manifold heat shield (2).
- Remove exhaust manifold.
Remove inspection cover (1) and mark torque converter to flywheel.
- On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove torque converter bolts (1).
- On vehicles equipped with an manual transaxle, remove modular clutch bolts (1).
Remove lower bellhousing bolts (2).
Remove A/C compressor (1) from engine and set aside.
- Remove alternator and lower idler pulley.
Disconnect Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (2) electrical connector.
Remove right engine mount bracket retaining bolts (4).
- Remove power steering hose hold down (3).
- Remove retaining nuts (2) and position mount bracket (1) aside.
- Remove intake oil control valve to prevent damage.
Install engine lift chain to rear lift bracket and bolt to cylinder head (1) in the front.
- Hoist engine from vehicle.
- Separate engine and transmission.
- Connect engine lift chain to engine.
- Slowly lower engine assembly in to position.
Position right mount bracket (2) and install bolts (3).
- Install mounting bolts at the right engine mount bolts and tighten bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Install through bolt (4) and tighten to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Install A/C compressor mounting bracket.
- Install A/C compressor and connect lines.
- Install exhaust manifold and upper lower heat shields).
- Install oxygen sensor and connect electrical connector.
- Install ground strap near right strut tower.
- Raise vehicle.
- Install Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP).
- Connect CKP electrical connector.
- Install manifold to exhaust pipe bolts and tighten bolts.
- Install alternator.
- Install lower bell housing bolts and tighten.
- Align torque converter and flex plate mark.
- Install torque converter bolts and tighten.
- Install inspection cover.
- Install new oil filter.
- Lower vehicle.
- Install upper idler pulley.
- Install power steering pump.
- Install power steering line support bracket.
- Install power steering pump.
- Install accessory drive belt.
- Connect electrical connectors at block ground, starter, A/C compressor, knock sensor, oil pressure sensor, alternator, coolant temperature sensor at block, and block heater.
Install intake manifold and tighten bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) in sequence.
- Install throttle body support bracket.
- Connect manifold flow control valve and electronic throttle control electrical connectors.
- Insert wiring harness retainer into intake manifold.
- Install engine oil dip stick.
- Install PCV hose.
- Install vacuum lines at throttle body and intake manifold.
- Install intake air tube on throttle body.
- Connect engine harness electrical connectors.
- Install coolant hoses at coolant adapter.
- Install coolant reservoir and connect hose.
- Connect fuel line to fuel rail.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Install air cleaner housing and connect inlet air hose.
- Fill with coolant.
Fill with oil.
CAUTIONDo NOT run the engine with a vacuum pump in operation or with a vacuum present within the A/C system. Failure to follow this caution will result in serious A/C compressor damage.
- Evacuate the refrigerant system.
- Charge the refrigerant system.
- Start engine and check for leaks.
- Install engine cover.