Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
NOTEThe hub nut is a single use type. A new nut is required for reassembly. Do not reuse the hub nut.
While a helper applies the brakes to keep the hub from rotating, remove the hub nut (1) from the axle halfshaft (2).
- Access and remove the front brake rotor.
Remove the routing clip (1) securing wheel speed sensor cable to the knuckle (4).
- Remove the screw (2) fastening the wheel speed sensor head (3) to the knuckle (4). Pull the sensor head out of the knuckle.
Remove the nut (3) attaching the outer tie rod (6) to the knuckle (2). To do this it might be necessary to hold the tie rod end stud with a wrench while loosening and removing the nut with a standard wrench or crowfoot wrench.
Release the outer tie rod end (1) from the knuckle (3) using Remover (2), Special Tool 9360.
- Remove the outer tie rod from the knuckle.
Remove the nut (4) attaching the lower ball joint to the lower control arm (5).
Release the lower ball joint (3) from the lower control arm (1) using Remover (2), Special Tool 9360. Do not lift the knuckle out of the lower control arm at this time.
CAUTIONThe strut assembly-to-knuckle attaching bolts (5) are serrated and must not be turned during removal. Proper removal is required. Refer to the following steps for the correct method.
- While holding the bolt heads stationary, remove the two nuts (2) from the bolts (5) attaching the strut (3) to the knuckle (6).
Remove the two bolts (5) attaching the strut (3) to the knuckle (6) using a pin punch.
NOTEDo not allow the halfshaft (1) to hang by the inner C/V joint; it must be supported to keep the joint from separating during this operation.
Pull the knuckle (2) off the halfshaft (1) outer C/V joint splines and remove the knuckle from the vehicle.
If required, remove the three screws (2) fastening the shield (3) to the knuckle (1). Remove the shield.
If required, remove the four bolts (2) fastening the hub and bearing (1) to the knuckle (3).
- If required, slide the hub and bearing (1) out of the knuckle.
- If required, install the hub and bearing by sliding it into the knuckle.
- If installing hub and bearing, install the four bolts fastening the hub and bearing to the knuckle. Tighten the four bolts to 60 ft. lbs. (82 Nm).
- If required, install the shie