Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable before beginning steering wheel removal or installation. This will disable the airbag system. Failure to disconnect the battery could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.
Allow the airbag system capacitor to discharge for two minutes before removing the steering wheel or any airbag system component.
- Adjust the steering wheel so that the tires are in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the driver airbag (3).
- From behind the steering wheel, gently pry off the driver airbag bolt covers.
- Remove the two driver airbag attaching bolts.
- Pull airbag rearward and disconnect the two airbag squib connectors.
- Remove airbag from vehicle.
Disconnect the wiring connector (2) at the clockspring.
While holding the steering wheel firmly in place, remove the retaining bolt (2) securing the steering wheel to the steering column shaft.
CAUTIONDo not bump or hammer on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel.
Install an appropriate wheel puller with hooked legs (1) on the steering wheel over the steering shaft.
CAUTIONDo not attempt to rotate the clockspring rotor once the steering wheel is removed. The clockspring must remain centered in its travel to avoid overextending the clockspring inner parts, causing the clockspring to become inoperative. If removed and handled properly using the correct procedures, it should remain in the -centered- position. If there is any question as to whether the clockspring is in the -centered- position of travel, perform the clockspring centering procedure before installing the steering wheel.
- While holding the steering wheel firmly in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position, release the steering wheel from the steering column shaft splines using the wheel puller (1).
- Remove the steering wheel from the column.
- The front wheels are in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
The turn signal stalk is in the NEUTRAL position.
CAUTIONDo not install the steering wheel onto the shaft of the steering column by driving it onto the shaft.
- Align the steering wheel's wide mounting spline with the steering column shaft missing spline area and push the wheel onto the shaft. Make sure the clockspring lines up with the back of the wheel and does not bind.
- Install the steering wheel retaining bolt and tighten it until the steering wheel is fully installed on the shaft. Tighten the steering wheel retaining bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Connect the wiring connector at the clockspring.
Install the driver airbag.
WARNINGDo not connect the battery negative cable. Serious or fatal injury may result if the system test is not performed first.
- Reconnect the battery using the Airbag System Test procedure in Restraints.
- Verify vehicle and system operation.