- Raise the vehicle on the hoist.
Remove the rear transmission bracket to transmission bolts.
- Remove crossmember.
- Remove right halfshaft assembly.
- Remove the exhaust and rear maniverter from engine.
Remove propeller shaft assembly.
- Mark propeller shaft and differential for proper installation.
Remove rear propeller shaft to rear axle retaining nuts (1).
Remove the bolts (3) from the center support heat shield (2).
CAUTIONPropeller shaft removal. Never allow propeller shaft to hang while connected to Power Transfer Unit (PTU), rear driveline module flanges or center bearings. If propeller shaft section is hung unsupported, damage may occur to joint, boot and/or center bearing from over-angulation. This may result in vibration/balance issues. A helper may be needed.
- Remove the heat shield (2).
- Remove the center support mounting bolts (1).
Remove the bolts (2) at the PTU.
- Remove the propeller shaft (3).
Remove the upper bolts (1) and clips (2) at the heat shield (3).
Remove the lower heat shield bolt (2) and remove the heat shield (1).
Remove PTU-to-bracket lower bolts (2).
- Roll engine and transmission forward.
- Remove PTU (1) from vehicle.
Install new O-ring onto PTU.
Apply RTV, 05010884AA, to the PTU O-ring.
NOTEThe sequence below should always be followed when installing the PTU
- Install PTU into position.
- Install PTU-to-transmission adaptor bolts and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Check and adjust PTU Fluid level. The PTU holds 1.7 pints (.8L) of Mopar® 75W-90 Gear and Axle Lubricant.
- Install the PTU Heat shield.
- Install PTU-to-transaxle mount bracket upper bolts and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install the lower heat shield bolt and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install transmission rear mount bolts and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install propeller shaft assembly.
- Install exhaust to engine.
- Install the crossmember.
- Install right halfshaft assembly.