The level sensor is a variable resistor. Its resistance changes with the amount of fuel in the tank. A float attached to the sensor moves as the fuel level changes. To test the level sensor, connect an ohmmeter across the sensor signal and sensor ground terminals of the fuel pump module connector. Move the float over the entire range to the positions shown in the resistance chart and record the resistance at each end point. Replace the level sensor if the resistance is not within specifications or an open circuit is noted during the entire range inspection.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Check the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster panel for an accurate reading of the fuel level in the tank.
- If the fuel gauge sticks at one extreme of the meter, no matter the fuel level in the tank, check for a break or short in the wiring from the fuel level sending unit.
- Check the fuel level sending unit by removing the fuel pump assembly. Refer to Fuel Pump, removal and installation.
- Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between terminals while moving the float up and down. If the resistance does not change smoothly, replace the fuel level sending unit.