Spark plug wire integrity is vital for proper engine operation. A thorough inspection will be necessary to accurately identify conditions that may affect engine operation.
- Inspect for correct routing of the spark plug wires. Improper routing may cause cross-firing.
- Inspect each wire for any signs of cracks or splits in the wire.
Inspect each boot for the following conditions:
- If corrosion, carbon tracking, or arcing are indicated on a spark plug wire boot or terminal, both the wire and the component connected to the wire should be replaced.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the spark plug wires from the ignition coils.
Remove the spark plug wires from the spark plugs using the following steps:
- Twist the spark plug boot 1 / 2 turn before removing the boot.
- Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
- Remove the spark plug wire from any retaining clips.
- Remove the spark plug wires from the engine.
When replacing the spark plug wires, transfer any of the following:
Boot heat shields
- Position the correct length of spark plug wire to each cylinder.
- Install the spark plug wires to the ignition coil in the proper position.
- Install the spark plug wires to the spark plugs.