The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located on the upper position of the transaxle and detects the vehicle speed from the rotation number of the differential gear.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) electrical connector.
- Remove the VSS sensor retaining bolt.
- Remove the VSS sensor from the transaxle.
- Lubricate a new O-ring with clean automatic transmission fluid and install the O-Ring to the VSS.
- Install the VSS and tighten the retaining bolts to 65 inch lbs. (74 Nm).
- Connect the VSS electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the connector of vehicle speed sensor, connect 12 volt power supply and voltmeter to the terminal. Do not mistake polarity.
- Rotate the driven gear.
- Observe the voltage. The voltage value will change from approximately 0 to 12 to 0 volts per pulse. There will be 4 pulses per revolution.
- If the result of the inspection is bad, replace the vehicle speed sensor.