Removal & Installation
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the engine coolant and engine oil.
- Recover the air conditioning refrigerant, into a refrigerant recovery station
- Remove the hood.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Carefully separate the engine from the transaxle and remove the engine.
- Position the engine onto the transaxle and engage the alignment pins.
- Install the bellhousing bolts. Torque the bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install the right engine mount and mount bracket. Torque the bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Remove the engine lifting device and transaxle jack.
- Install the torque converter bolts. Torque the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
EGR, knock sensor, oil pressure switch and charcoal canister connectors
- Charge the air conditioning refrigerant using approved recycling equipment.
- Fill the engine with coolant and engine oil.
- Bleed the power steering system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Disconnect the battery cables.
- Remove the battery and the battery tray.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning (A/C) system, if equipped, using a suitable refrigerant recovery station.
- Drain the engine cooling system.
- Remove the radiator and engine cooling fan.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
- Disconnect the power steering hoses from the power steering pump, if equipped.
- Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector.
- Disconnect the breather tube from the valve cover.
- Disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body.
- Remove the air intake assembly.
- Remove the spark plug cover.
- Disconnect the connector from the idle air control (IAC) valve, throttle position sensor (TPS), A/C pressure (ACP) transducer, if equipped, and camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
- Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and from the intake manifold bracket.
- Disconnect the connector from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.
- Disconnect the ignition wires from the spark plugs.
- Disconnect the surge tank coolant hose at the throttle body.
- Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at the electronic ignition (EI) system ignition coil.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the crankshaft position sensor (CPS).
- Disconnect all of the necessary vacuum lines.
- Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose at the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the fuel supply hose at the fuel rail.
- Remove the mounting bolts from the battery tray support and remove the battery tray support.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the coolant pipe.
- Remove the bolt from the A/C compressor pipe and hose assembly, if equipped.
- Remove the A/C compressor pipe and hose assembly from the compressor.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front tires.
- Remove the front splash shield and the engine undercover.
If equipped with automatic transmission (A/T):
- Disconnect the A/T oil cooler inlet/outlet pipe.
- Disconnect the A/T shift control cable.
- Disconnect all of the A/T electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at the A/C compressor coil, if equipped.
- Disconnect the connector from the rear heat oxygen sensor (HO2S).
Remove the front exhaust pipe as follows:
- Remove the lower flange nuts from the exhaust manifold studs, retain the gasket, and then remove the bracket mounting bolts.
- Remove the nuts that secure the front muffler pipe. Retain the gasket.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe as a unit.
- Remove the nut and bolt from the damping block connection.
- Remove bolts from the rear mounting bracket. Remove the bracket.
- Remove the A/T drive axle, if equipped.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at the oil pressure switch.
- Remove the battery harness connector nut from the alternator.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the alternator voltage regulator.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the evaporative (EVAP) emission canister purge solenoid.
- Remove the bolts from the intake manifold support bracket and remove the intake manifold support bracket.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.
- Remove the lower starter mounting bolt.
- Remove the starter solenoid nuts in order to disconnect the electrical cable.
- Remove the lower engine wiring harness.
- Remove the rubber from the oil pan.
- Remove the torque converter service cover and the bolts.
Install the engine lifting device.
Remove the retaining bolts from the engine mounting bracket, then remove the bracket from the engine block.
- Remove the 3 bolts from the upper transaxle mounting bracket.
- Verify at this point that the engine and transaxle assembly is not attached to the vehicle.
- Lift up the vehicle slowly to separate the engine and transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
- Separate the engine block from the transaxle to remove the engine.
- Connect the engine to the transaxle, then lift the engine/transaxle assembly into the engine compartment using a suitable engine lifting device.
- Install the right engine mount bracket to the engine block. Install and tighten the engine mounting bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the 3 upper transaxle mounting bolts and tighten to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the service cover to the torque converter and tighten the bolts to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Refill the cooling system to the correct level.
- Refill the engine with oil to the correct level.
- Fill the A/C system, if equipped.
- Bleed the power steering system, if equipped.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.