Removal & Installation
Spray the exhaust system fasteners with penetrating lubricant before removing them to help prevent broken studs and bolts. The use of a 6-point socket is highly recommended when removing exhaust system fasteners.
To prevent serious burns, allow the exhaust manifold to cool down before attempting to remove it.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector
- Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield
- Remove the nuts that connect the exhaust manifold to the auxiliary catalytic converter.
- Remove the exhaust manifold nuts in the sequence shown.
Remove the exhaust manifold and gasket.
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
Install a new exhaust manifold gasket and the exhaust manifold on the cylinder head. Start 2 nuts to hold the manifold in position. Tighten the nuts in sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the nuts that connect the exhaust manifold to the auxiliary catalytic converter. Tighten the nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the exhaust manifold heat shield and tighten the bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Connect the oxygen sensor connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.