- Remove the oil pump from the vehicle.
- Clean the oil pump and the engine block gasket mating surfaces.
- Remove the safety relief valve bolt.
- Remove the safety relief valve and the spring.
- Remove the oil pump-to-crankshaft seal.
Remove the oil pump rear cover bolts.
- Remove the rear cover.
- Clean the oil pump housing and all of the parts.
- Inspect all of the parts for signs of wear. Coat all of the oil pump parts with clean engine oil.
Reinstall all of the oil pump parts.
NOTEFill oil pump cavities with petroleum jelly prior to installation. This will ensure that there is oil pressure immediately on start-up and will prevent engine damage.
- Install the oil pump rear cover and the bolts.
- Tighten the oil pump rear cover bolts to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the safety relief valve, the spring, the washer, and the bolt.
- Tighten the oil pump safety relief valve bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Reinstall the oil pump to the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the rear timing belt cover.
- Disconnect the oil pressure switch connector.
- Remove the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump suction pipe and support bracket bolts.
- Remove the oil pump mounting bolts.
Carefully separate the oil pump and gasket from the engine block and the oil pan and remove the oil pump.
- Apply Loctite® 242 to the oil pump bolts and RTV sealant to the new oil pump gasket.
- Install the oil pump and gasket and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install a new oil pump-to-crankshaft seal. Coat the lip of the seal with a thin coat of grease.
- Coat the threads of the oil suction pipe and support bracket bolts with Loctite® 242.
- Install the oil suction pipe and bolts and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the CKP sensor.
- Connect the oil pressure switch connector.
- Install the timing belt rear cover.
- Install the timing belt.
- Refill the engine with oil to the correct level.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.