Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the flywheel or drive plate bolts.
- Remove the flywheel or drive plate
- Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal.
- Inspect the crankshaft seal area for any damage that may cause the seal to leak. If damage is evident, service or replace the crankshaft as necessary.
- Coat the crankshaft seal area and the seal lip with engine oil.
Using a crankshaft seal replacement tool (J-36972 or equivalent), install the seal. Tighten the bolts of the seal installer tool evenly so the seal is straight and seats without misalignment.
- Install the flywheel or the drive plate. Tighten the flywheel bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Plus an additional 30°, then another 15°. Tighten the drive plate bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Install the engine.
- Connect the negative battery cable.