Removal & Installation
Up to VIN 5B426447
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
Loosen the parking brake cable.
- Remove the axle nut.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Ensure the brake adjuster nut is drawn all the way against the stop.
- Install the brake drum.
- Install the axle nut and tighten to 147 ft. lbs. (200 Nm).
- Tighten the parking brake cable.
- Install the wheels.
- Adjust the rear brakes and the parking brake.
- Release the parking brake and apply the brake pedal ten times.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear tire.
- Remove the screws that retain the brake drum assembly.
- Remove the brake drum from the hub.
- Install the brake drum to the hub.
- Install the screws that hold to the brake drum and tighten to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Install the rear tire.
Lower the vehicle.
WARNINGIf the clicking sound of the adjuster is not audible from either brake drum, the clearance between the brake shoes and the brake drum is adjusted.
- Apply the brake pedal at least ten times in order to adjust the clearance between the brake shoes and the drum. Verify the clicking sound of the adjuster is not audible.
- Adjust the parking brake. For additional information, refer to the following section, -Parking Brake Cables, Adjustment.-