Inspection & Testing
Inspect for the following conditions:
Correct routing of the spark plug wires. Incorrect routing may cause cross-firing.
Inspect each boot for the following conditions:
- If corrosion, carbon tracking, or arcing is indicated on a spark plug wire boot or on a terminal, replace the wire and the component connected to the wire.
Removal & Installation
- Turn OFF the ignition.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Disconnect the spark plug wire at the spark plug by twisting each plug boot 1 / 2 turn and pulling by the boot only.
- Disconnect the spark plug cable from the coil using the same method.
- Apply new dielectric grease to the inside of each boot.
- Install the spark plug wire on the coil.
- Install the spark plug wire at the spark plug.
Ensure the boots have been properly seated on the spark plug and coil.
WARNINGFailure to properly seat the terminal onto the spark plug will lead to wire core erosion and result in an engine misfire or crossfire condition, and possible internal damage to the engine.
NOTEWire routing must be kept intact during service and followed exactly when wires have been disconnected or when replacement of the wires is necessary.
WARNINGFailure to route the wires correctly can lead to radio interference and crossfire of the plugs, or shorting of the leads to the ground.
- Install the engine cover and tighten the 4 bolts to 31 inch lbs. (3 Nm).