Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
CAUTIONFailure to remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear may result in damage to the gear or intermediate shaft and may cause a loss of steering control.
Negative battery cable
Intermediate shaft from the steering gear
Lower the vehicle until the frame is in contact with a suitable transaxle table/engine stand (such as J 39580). Make certain that an engine stand (such as J 39580) is aligned below the engine.
Raise the vehicle to separate the assembly from the vehicle.
Install a suitable engine hoist
Engine to transaxle bolts and studs
Install or connect the following:
Engine to the transaxle/frame and install the bolts. Torque the bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
Remove the engine hoist.
Torque converter to flywheel bolts. Torque the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (63 Nm).
Position the transaxle table with powertrain/frame under the vehicle. Lower the vehicle until the frame contacts the transaxle table.
CAUTIONWhen installing the intermediate shaft be certain that the shaft is seated properly before installing the pinch bolt. If the pinch bolt is inserted into the coupling before the shaft, the mating surfaces disengage. Disengagement of the two shafts may lead to a loss of steering control.
CAUTIONWhenever the engine has been removed from the vehicle it is necessary to install a new accelerator control cable to avoid damage or personal injury.
New frame to body bolts. Torque the front bolts to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) and the rear bolts to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm). Remove the transaxle table.
Pinch bolt at the intermediate shaft. Torque the bolt 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
New accelerator control cable
- Fill the engine with oil.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Inspect the transmission fluid level and top off, if necessary.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position several times to pressurize the fuel system.
- Start the engine and inspect for leaks, repair if necessary.
- Check and top off the fluid levels if required.