Removal & Installation
- Remove the battery negative cable from the battery.
- Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
- Remove the electrical connector from the engine oil pressure sensor.
- Remove the engine oil pressure switch.
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the engine oil pressure switch and tighten it to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Install the electrical connector to the engine oil pressure switch.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the battery negative cable to the battery.
- Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the oil pressure sensor.
- Install the oil pressure sensor and tighten it to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle on a level surface, allow adequate drain down time of 2-3 minutes and measure for a low oil level. Add the recommended grade engine oil and fill the crankcase until the oil level measures full on the oil level indicator.
- Run the engine, and verify low, or no oil pressure on the vehiclegauge or light.
- Listen for a noisy valve train or a knocking noise.
Inspect for the following:
Oil diluted by moisture or unburned fuel mixtures
- Remove the oil pressure sender or another engine block oil gallery plug.
- Install special tool J21867-850 and an oil pressuregauge and measure the engine oil pressure.
- Compare the readings to specifications.
If the engine oil pressure is below specifications, inspect the engine for one or more of the following:
Oil pump worn or dirty