Removal & Installation
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
- Remove the fuel pressure regulator retaining screw.
- Using a shop towel to catch any spilled fuel, lift and twist the fuel pressure regulator in order to remove the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail.
- Remove the retainer and spacer bracket from the rail and discard.
- Remove the fuel pressure regulator from the engine fuel return pipe.
- Remove the fuel pressure regulator inlet O-ring and discard.
Connect the fuel return line before tightening the regulator attaching screw in order to prevent the regulator from rotating. Rotation of the regulator could damage the retainer and spacer bracket and lead to a fuel leak at the regulator inlet.
Do not use compressed air in order to test or clean a fuel pressure regulator as damage to the fuel pressure regulator may result.
Clean the fuel pressure regulator filter screen with gasoline if necessary
Do not immerse the fuel pressure regulator in a solvent bath in order to prevent damage to the fuel pressure regulator.
- Check the filter screen for contamination. If contaminated, replace the fuel pressure regulator.
- Lubricate the new pressure regulator inlet O-ring with clean engine oil and install on the regulator inlet.
- Install the fuel return pipe to the regulator.
Install the new retainer and spacer bracket into the slot on the fuel rail.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the pressure regulator to the fuel rail and tighten the engine fuel return pipe nut to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- Connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
- Install the pressure regulator attaching screw and tighten the pressure regulator attaching screw to 76 inch lbs. (8.5 Nm).
- Inspect and verify that the retainer and spacer bracket is engaged in the slots in the fuel rail. Grasp and pull on the regulator to ensure that the regulator is properly seated.
Inspect for fuel leaks with the following procedure:
Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.