Tie Rod Ends
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the tie rod ball stud nut.
Loosen the tie rod jam nut.
NOTEDo not attempt to free the ball stud by using a pickle fork or wedge type tool, because seal or bushing damage could result. Use the proper tool to separate all ball joints.
- Use the special tool J 24319-B in order to separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod.
- Install the outer tie rod to the inner tie rod. Do not tighten the tie rod jam nut.
Install the outer tie rod to the steering knuckle.
NOTEThis is a prevailing torque type fastener. This fastener may be reused ONLY if:
The fastener and its counterpart are clean and free from rust
- If the fastener does not meet these criteria, replace the fastener.
Install the tie rod ball stud nut, and tighten the tie rod ball stud nut to 22 ft. lbs. + 2 flats (30 Nm + 120 degrees).
NOTEEnsure that 2.5-4.5 tie rod end threads are visible beyond the tie rod nut nylon.
- Install the front tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Inspect and adjust the toe as necessary.