See Figure 1
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the brake fluid from the reservoir. Disconnect the clutch hose from the reservoir if equipped. Clean all the brake line connections.
- Pull the reservoir off the master cylinder. On the E36 3 Series, turn the ignition switch to OFF and disconnect the harness connectors next to the master cylinder to gain more working room.
- Using a line or flare wrench, remove the line connections from the master cylinder. Plug the lines to prevent the ingress of contaminants.
- Remove the mounting nuts and pull of the booster.
- Check the condition of the O-ring at the mounting flange of the master cylinder. Clean the mounting surfaces.
- Install the master cylinder. On E30 and E36 3 Series, torque the nuts to 14.5 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). On E34 5 Series, torque the nuts to 18-21 ft. lbs. (25-29 Nm).
- Install the brake lines and torque the connections to 10 ft. lbs. (14.2 Nm). Connect the harness connectors on the E36 3 Series.
- Install the reservoir and clutch hose. Fill the reservoir and bleed the system.