The clutch master and slave cylinders should be replaced as a pair. If one unit fails, the other usually will fail soon after.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove enough brake fluid from the reservoir until the level drops below the refill line connection.
- Remove the retaining bolts and pull the unit down.
- Disconnect the line and remove the slave cylinder.
- Install the slave cylinder on the transmission. On engines equipped with the dual mass flywheel, make sure a larger cylinder with a diameter of 0.874 inch (22.2 mm) is used instead of the usual cylinder, diameter 0.812 inch (20.64 mm). Torque the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Torque the fluid connections to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Make sure to install the cylinder with the bleed screw facing down. When installing the front pushrod, coat it with the proper anti-seize compound. Bleed the system.