REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the exhaust system. Remove the crossbrace under the driveshaft. Remove the heatshields. Mark the relationship of the driveshaft flange to the transmission output flange for installation.
- Use tool 26 1 040 or equivalent to loosen the spline locking ring behind the center bearing.
- Support the transmission and remove the transmission crossmember, if blocking the access to the coupling. Remove the bolts holding the flex coupling to the transmission output flange. If equipped with a vibration damper, rotate the damper and pull off with the flex coupling.
- Fill the opening of the bearing with grease. Use a tool the same diameter as the bore in the bearing and drive in. The hydraulic force developed will drive the bearing out from the back side.
- Clean the grease from the bore and fill with 2 grams of moly lubricant grease. Drive the new bearing in until so it protrudes 0.177 inch (4.5 mm).
- Install the front flex coupling and vibration damper. The arrows must face the flange arms. Torque the M10-8.8 bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm) and the M10-10.9 bolts to 52 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Install the transmission crossmember. Torque the spline locking ring to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) for 2 wheel drive and 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) for 4 wheel drive.
- Install the heatshields and crossmember. Install the exhaust system.