REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
E30 3 Series
See Figures 1 and 2
- Open the sunroof lid 2-4 inches (5-10cm).
- Unclip the roof liner frame and push back into the opening.
- Close the sunroof lid and loosen the screws on each end of the gates.
- Pull in the retainers, remove the center screws and lift off the lid.
- Remove the cover over the motor and gearbox. Close the sunroof lid, if not already closed.
- Disconnect the wiring harness and remove the 3 mounting screws. Remove the motor and gearbox.
- Push the cables back evenly on both sides. Remove the rail covers and pull the cables out of the guides.
- Place the cable in the center position of the gate and press off.
- Install the cables to the gate. The cable are marked with the proper side of installation. Do not lubricate fabric covered cables.
- Pull the cables through guides and align the cables. Insert a hex key through the gate and cable at the 0 position.
- Install the motor and gearbox. The motor and gearbox must be synchronized with the hole in the drivegear aligned between the centers of the 2 gears. Torque the bolts to 2.0 ft. lbs. (2.8 Nm).
- Install the sunroof lid. Use new screws and torque to 2.5 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm).
- Adjust the sunroof lid. Pull the roof liner frame into position and clip into place.
- Close the sunroof fully. With a quick actuation of the sunroof opening button, open the sunroof so the back edge of the lid depresses 0.08-0.12 inches (2-3mm).
- Slowly push the roof liner panel back into the roof. Do not force or use a quick motion or damage could occur.
- Remove the mounting screws and pull the lid off at the rear side. Do not operate the sunroof with the panel removed.
- Install the lid and check that the hooks and levers align. Install the screws with threadlocker or use new micro-encapsulated screws. Torque to 2.5 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm).
- Adjust the sunroof lid. Lower the rear of the lid by operating the motor. Pull the liner forward and clip into place.
See Figures 3 and 4