REMOVAL & INSTALLATION M20 Engine
The M20 engine is equipped with a timing belt, as opposed to a timing chain as is usual bmw style. The distributor guard plate is actually the upper timing belt cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the distributor cap and rotor. Remove the inner distributor cover and seal.
- Remove the 2 distributor guard plate attaching bolts and one nut. Remove the rubber guard and take out the guard plate (upper timing belt cover).
- Rotate the crankshaft to set No. 1 piston at tdc of its compression stroke.
At tdc of No. 1 piston compression stroke, the camshaft sprocket arrow should align directly with the mark on the cylinder head.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the lower splash guard and take off the alternator, power steering and air conditioning belts.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley and vibration damper.
- If equipped with a 2 piece hub, hold the crankshaft hub from rotating with the proper tool. Remove the crankshaft hub bolt.
- Install the hub bolt into the crankshaft about 3 turns and use the proper gear puller, to remove the crankshaft hub.
- Remove the bolt from the engine end of the alternator bracket. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and swing the bracket out of the way.
- Lift out the tdc transmitter and set it aside.
- Remove the remaining bolt and