REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
A number of special tools are required to perform this operation. Use the BMW factory numbers given to shop for these from factory sources, or to cross-reference similar tools that may be available in the aftermarket. Use 33 4 050 and 00 5 500 to drive in a new lockplate for the brake disc. The tie rod must be pressed off with 342 2 070. Control arms are pressed off with 31 2 160. Use 33 2 112 and 33 2 113 to press the output shafts out of the brake discs and 33 2 112, 33 2 124 and 33 4 042 to press them back in. On the left side, the output shaft is pulled out of the drive axle with 31 5 011 and 30 31 581. On the right side, 31 5 011 and 31 5 012 are used to pull the output shaft out of the axle.
- Raise the car and support it securely. Remove the front wheels. Remove the drain plug and drain the lube oil from the front axle.
- Remove the attaching nut from each tie rod and then press the rod off the steering knuckle with 33 2 070.
- Remove the retaining nut and then press the control arm off the steering knuckle on either side.
- To remove the drive axle from the differential on the left side: Install special tool 31 5 011 by bolting it together around the axle so that the ring on its inner diameter fits into the groove on the shaft. Install 30 31 581 onto the shaft so it will rest against the housing and the bolt heads of 31 5 011 will rest against it. Screw the 2 bolts in alternately in small increments to get even pressure on the shaft, pulling it out of the differential.
- To remove the drive axle on the right side: Install 31 5 012 on the diameter of the shaft directly against the housing. Install 31 5 011 by bolting it together around the axle so that the ring on its inner diameter fits into the groove on the shaft. Screw the 2 bolts in alternately in small increments to get even pressure on the shaft, pulling it out of the differential.
- Remove the front driveshaft flex coupling bolts and remove the driveshaft. Remove the mounting bolts for the final drive and lower the unit.
- Install the final drive and torque the mounting bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (42 Nm). Replace the output flange seals at the side of the final drive case before installing the halfshafts.
Install the halfshafts, bearing the following points in mind:
- Install the shafts into the housing until the snapring inside engages in the groove of the shaft. It may be necessary to install the removal tool and tap against it with a plastic-headed hammer to drive the shaft far enough into the housing.
- Before installing the shafts into the steering knuckle, coat the spline with light oil.
- When installing the control arms onto the steering knuckle, torque the nut to 61.5 ft. lbs. and use a new cotter pin. When installing the tie rod onto the steering knuckle, torque to 61.5 ft. lbs. and use a new self-locking nut.
- Drive a new lockplate into the brake disc with 33 4 050 and 00 5 500. Torque the nut to 181 ft. lbs.
- Replace the drain plug and refill the final drive unit with the required lubricant.