REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
E34 5 Series
See Figure 1
The E34 5 Series uses a multi-link type suspension. There is a lower control arm to support the strut housing and a thrust rod to control fore and aft motion. The thrust rod is not used on 3 Series vehicles.
Always replace the strut rods in pairs. If the strut rods are not replaced in pains, uneven driving response may result.
- Raise and safely support the front end. Do not place the jackstands under any suspension parts. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the thrust rod ball joint nut and press the stud out of the steering knuckle with a ball joint remover tool.
- Remove the nut and bolt at the subframe end of the strut rod. Remove the strut rod.
- Install the strut to the subframe using a new nut and washer on both sides. Do not torque at this point.
- Clean the grease and dirt off of the ball joint stud and bore. Install the ball joint stud into the steering knuckle and torque the new nut to 67 ft. lbs. (93 Nm).
- Install the wheel and lower the vehicle to the ground. Load 150 lbs. into each of the front seats and in the center of the rear seat. Torque the control arm to subframe bolt to 92 ft. lbs. (127 Nm).
See Figures 2, 3 and 4