The accelerator pedal sender is used on EML equipped vehicles. This is the sensor that tells the EML unit how far the accelerator pedal has been depressed. This takes the place of the throttle cable.
Anytime the accelerator pedal sender is adjusted or replaced, the external safety path check must be made. Be sure to have the tester tool 12 7 010 or equivalent, is available for use before starting these procedures.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Remove the lower dash trim from around the accelerator pedal location.
- Unscrew the nut from the sender shaft and pull off the pedal lever.
- Remove the 2 bolts from the sender and disconnect the electrical connector. Note the positions of the spacers, if equipped, for installation.
- Rotate the sender until the eye can pass through the opening, then rotate until the other mounting eye can pass through the opening. Tilt the sender so the clips can pass through the opening. Turn the sender so the eyes align with the mounting holes and remove completely.
- Align the eyes with the mounting holes and tilt up to pass the clips through the opening. Insert the sender and rotate so both eyes pass through the opening.
- Tighten the bolts to 3.25-3.50 ft. lbs. (4.5-5.0 Nm). Connect the electrical connector.
- Install the pedal lever on the sensor shaft and tighten the nut to 4.3 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).
- Adjust the sensor. Run the external safety path check.
See Figure 1
- Install the sensor to the mounting bracket and connect the linkage. Snug the mounting screws and loosen the linkage nut on the end of the sensor.
- Move the linkage to produce a gap between the idle stop and pedal lever. Secure a 0.118 inch (3.0mm) feeler gauge in place to maintain the gap. Support the linkage and tighten the nut to 4.3 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).
- If equipped with a manual transmission, move the pedal to the kickdown detent. Turn the pedal stop knurled nut to touch the pedal and tighten the locknut.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, move the pedal to the kickdown detent. Turn the pedal stop knurled nut to produce a gap of 0.236 inch (6mm) between the stop and the pedal and tighten the locknut.
- Perform the external safety path check.