REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
E34 5 Series
See Figure 1
- Remove the seat from the vehicle. Disconnect the side panels by unclipping and removing the screws. Disconnect the switches.
- Remove the seat control unit from under the seat. Use tool 52 1 100 or equivalent to drive out the 4 bearing pins.
- Drill out the rivets and remove the base plate.
- Remove the front seat height motor and remove the rails.
- Remove the fore/aft motor.
- Remove the backrest cover by removing the 2 screw at the sides, if equipped, and pushing the cover up to disengage the clips. Pull the cover off and disconnect the wiring.
- At the lowers sides, press the levers down to disconnect the backrest. Pull the headrest out.
- Loosen the headrest gearbox cover. Remove the bolts and take off the gearbox. Remove the motor from the gearbox.
- Loosen the bottom seat cushion cover. Remove the bolts at the cable shaft retainer plate on the motor and remove the shafts.
- Remove the screws and the snapring at the backrest fittings. Remove the motors.
- Install the motors. The black plug is for the backrest position motor and the white plug is for the seat up/down motor.
- Lubricate the splines for the backrest fittings and install the sleeve. Install the fittings and snapring.
- Install the motor shaft and retainer plate. Install the seat cover.
- Install the headrest motor and gearbox. Install the headrest.
- Install the backrest on the seat bottom. Connect the electrical leads. The plug colors will match.
- Install the backrest cover and screws.
- Lubricate the splines and install the fore/aft motor. Connect the spring at the fore/aft motor before tightening the mounting nuts.
- Install the seat front height motor. Check that the linkage is in the same position on both sides. Lubricate the splines and install the sleeves.
- Install the base plate with new rivets or bolts. Install the 4 bearing pins with tool 52 1 100 or equivalent. Check that the retainer and stops are not damaged.
- Install the control unit and the side panels.