REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
E30 3 Series
- Disconnect the rear portion of the exhaust system and hang it from the body.
- Disconnect the final drive rubber mount, push it down, and hold it down with a wedge.
- Remove the bolt that connects the rear stabilizer bar to the strut on the side being worked on. Be careful not to damage the brake line.
Support the lower control arm securely with a jack or other device that will permit it to be lowered gradually, while maintaining secure support.
- Then, to prevent damage to the output shaft joints, lower the control arm only enough to slip the coil spring off the retainer.
- Make sure, in replacing the spring, that the same part number, color code, and proper rubber ring are used. Install the spring, making sure that the spring is in proper position.
- Keep the control arm securely supported while raising and replace the shock bolt. Install the bolts in the final drive rubber mount and torque to 69 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Torque the stabilizer bolt to 16 ft. lbs. (21.5 Nm), and the shock bolt to 63 ft. lbs. (87 Nm) with the control arm in the normal ride position. Install the exhaust system.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support securely. Do not support on the suspension parts.
- Support the lower trailing arm at the hub and disconnect the stabilizer bar at the control arm and the subframe.
- Remove the shock absorber lower mounting bolt. Lower the trailing arm slowly and remove the spring to the side.
- Install the spring with the bushing in place and the top of the lubricated.
- Raise the trailing arm to a level where the bolt can be replaced in the lower shock mount. Connect the stabilizer bar.
- Torque the stabilizer bolt to 16 ft. lbs. (21.5 Nm), and the shock bolt to 63 ft. lbs. (87 Nm) with the control arm in the normal ride position.
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle.
- Remove the rear seat cushion and backrest. Remove the trim panel over the strut mount.
- Support the control arm and remove the nuts at the top of the strut mount.
- Remove the lower mounting bolt and lower the spring strut assembly. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- Use a spring compressor and compress the spring. Remove the top nut and pull the top mount off. Remove the spring.
- Compress the new spring or replace the old spring on the strut. Install the mount and washers. Use a new locknut and torque to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Release the spring.
- Install the spring strut and torque the upper mount nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (21.5 Nm). Loosely install the lower mounting bolt.
- With the vehicle lowered to the ground and at standard riding height, torque the lower mount to 94 ft. lbs. (130 Nm).
- Install the trim and seat cushions.