Check the cap and rotor for signs of burning, carbon tracks or excessive corrosion on the terminals. Do not try to clean the terminals. The cap and rotor should be replaced at the same time.
Removal & Installation
- Make sure the ignition is OFF .
- To prevent physical injury and to avoid damage to the radiator fins, slide a thin piece of cardboard or equivalent down between the radiator and the fan.
- Note and label the wires and their original location.
- Remove the ignition lead cover from the distributor cap. If not already marked, tag the ignition leads for later installation.
- Pull off the ignition leads from the distributor cap.
- Remove the screws from the distributor cap and remove the cap. Check the condition of the distributor cap seal and replace if necessary.
- Unscrew the 3mm hex head bolts securing the rotor, then remove the rotor.
- Place the ignition rotor on the shaft and tighten the hex head bolts to 22-25 inch lbs. (2.6-3.0 Nm).
- Install the distributor cap and seal. Tighten the mounting screws.
- Replace the ignition leads on the proper terminals and clip the cover into place. Remove the cardboard from between the radiator and fan.