Removal & Installation
- Remove the exhaust system. Remove the crossbrace under the driveshaft. Remove the heat shields. Mark the relationship of the driveshaft flange to the transmission output flange for installation.
- Use Tool No. 26 1 040 or equivalent to loosen the spline locking ring behind the center bearing.
- Support the transmission and remove the transmission crossmember, if blocking the access to the coupling. Remove the bolts holding the flex coupling to the transmission output flange and the driveshaft. If equipped with a vibration damper, rotate the damper and pull off with the flex coupling.
- Install the front flex coupling and vibration damper. The arrows must face the flange arms. Torque the M10-8.8 bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm) and the M10-10.9 bolts to 52 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Install the transmission crossmember. Torque the spline locking ring to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) for 2 wheel drive and 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) for 4 wheel drive.
- Install the heat shields and crossmember. Install the exhaust system.