Removal & Installation
The M20 engine uses and intermediate shaft that was used to drive the distributor in the pre-DME days. Now the shaft is used strictly to run the oil pump.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the front cover.
- Remove the intermediate shaft sprocket.
- Loosen and remove the 2 retaining screws and then remove the intermediate shaft guide plate.
- Carefully, slide the intermediate shaft out of the block. Turn the crankshaft, if necessary, to remove it. Inspect the gear on the intermediate shaft, replacing it, if necessary.
- Install the intermediate shaft to the block. Install the guide plate.
- Install the front cover.