Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system and remove the radiator and fan assembly.
- Remove the drive belts and any accessories that block access to the timing cover. Remove the engine splash shield, if necessary.
- Remove the vibration damper using the proper tool. Unscrew the central bolt and remove the vibration damper hub.
Remove the timing case cover bolts and remove the timing cover.
NOTEThe timing case cover can be removed without removing the water pump.
- Clean the mounting flanges of the timing chain cover and the engine block. Install the timing chain cover with a new manifold. Tighten the bolts evenly in a crisscross manner.
- Install the remaining components in the opposite order from which they were removed. Make sure to tighten the central hub bolt to 295 ft. lbs. (400 Nm) on the M50/M52/S50 engines. Torque the vibration damper bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.
Left Upper Timing Case Cover
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove the left cylinder head cover.
- Remove the alternator.
- Remove the cover from the oil filter. Unbolt the return pipe at the oil filter housing. Remove the full flow oil filter housing retaining nuts and remove the oil filter housing.
- Remove the battery positive wire from the alternator. Remove the protective tube mounting screws and move the wire aside.
- Remove the nine timing case mounting bolts and remove the timing case.
- Check for the correct seating of the dowel sleeves. Clean the sealing surfaces to remove any oil or old gasket. Position a new gasket.
- Mount the timing case cover together with the inserted bolt. This bolt cannot be installed with the cover in place. Install the rest of the mounting bolts and screw in the vertically mounted bolts until the cover just contacts the cylinder head. Do not tighten the bolts yet.
- Install the horizontally mounted bolts, then tighten the vertically mounted bolts in two steps. After the vertically mounted bolts are tight, tighten the horizontally mounted bolts in two steps. Torque the 6mm bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm), 8mm bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm), and 10mm bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Position the battery positive wire for the alternator and install the protective tube mounting screws. Connect the wire to the alternator.
- Install the oil filter housing. Install the return pipe and replace the housing cover.
- Install the alternator and the cylinder head cover.
- Fill the engine oil and connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove the intake manifold cover. Remove the intake hose between the throttle body and the air volume meter.
- Remove the cooling fan and the drive belt.
- Remove the pulley on the water pump.
- Remove the eight mounting bolts for the vibration damper and remove the damper.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the front engine splash shield. Remove the cooling air guide for the alternator, located on the engine carrier. Lower the vehicle.
- Position special tool 11 2 450, or equivalent, on the center bolt for the vibration damper hub. Remove the bolt. Install a suitable puller on the hub and remove the hub.
- Press out the oil seal using special tool 11 2 380 and 11 2 383, or equivalent.
- Remove the 15 mounting bolts for the lower timing case cover and remove the cover.
- Check for the correct seating of the dowel sleeves. Clean the sealing surfaces and remove all pieces of gasket. Position a new gasket on the lower cover.
- Cut off the protruding ends of the gasket, making sure the cutting tool is level. Do not allow the pieces to fall into the engine.
- Position the lower cover and install the mounting bolts with an even distribution of pressure. Torque the 6mm bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm), 8mm bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) and 10mm bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm)
- Install the oil seal in the timing case cover using special tool 11 1 220 or an appropriate seal install tool and the crankshaft damper hub bolt. Make sure the seal is flush with the cover.
Install the vibration damper hub and install the bolt. Torque the hub bolt in three steps:
Step 1: 74-81 ft. lbs. (100-110 Nm)
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Install the cooling air guide for the alternator, located on the engine carrier. Install the front engine splash shield. Lower the vehicle.
- Position the vibration damper. Install the mounting bolts on the vibration damper.
- Install the pulley on the water pump.
- Install the drive belt and the cooling fan.
- Install the intake hose between the throttle body and the air volume meter. Install the manifold cover.
Connect negative battery cable.