Door Alignment & Adjustment
- Check the gaps around the door. The gaps should be even.
- Adjust the gap spacing by loosening the hinge mounting bolts and moving the door in the direction necessary to even out the gap.
- Adjust the panel height at the front edge of the door by inserting hinge shims between the hinge mount and the body. The hinges are available in 0.020 inch (0.5mm) and 0.039 inch (1.0mm) thicknesses. It is acceptable to have the front door edge set lower than the front fender by up to 0.039 inches (1.0mm). This will help prevent wind noise and stone chips.
- Adjust the rear edge of the door by moving the door striker in or out.
- After adjustment is completed, some areas without paint may be noticed. This is due to the way the vehicle was manufactured. The doors are hung and adjusted before the vehicle is painted. By moving the hinge or striker, an unpainted area may be uncovered. Touch up this area with matching body paint.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the door from the hinge.
- Remove the snapping and washer from the hinge pin. Press the hinge pin out of the hinge.
- Press the hinge bushing out of the hinge.
- Install a new hinge bushing by pressing in. Use tool 41 5 010 or equivalent to press the bushing into place.
- Install the hinge pin and lubricate. Install the door.
Removal & Installation
- Open the door to the full wide position to make working at the hinges easier. Place a support under the bottom edge of the door to support the weight of the door. Roll down the window.
- On the E30 models, depress the clips on the electrical connector on the pillar and remove. On the E36 models, remove the 2 bolts holding the connector to the door. Pull the connector out of the opening and pull up on the clip of the interior portion of the connector body. Separate the connector.
- Remove the clip on the bottom of the door brake pin. Push the pin out of the bore.
- Support the door and remove the bolts from the door hinges. The upper hinge will have the bolt at the bottom of the hinge and the lower hinge will have the bolt at the top of the hinge. Pull the door off the hinges and place upright on a padded surface.
- Check the door hinge bushing and replace if necessary. Lubricate the hinge. Place the door back on the hinges and replace the bolts.
- Connect the door brake pin and retainer. Connect the electrical plug.
- Close the door and check the alignment. Correct as necessary.