Removal & Installation
The fresh air intake duct for the climate control is located at the rear of the engine compartment on the upper center of the firewall. It must be removed to access the windshield wiper motor and/or to create additional work space when performing underhood repairs and/or parts replacement on E36 models.
- Remove the seal at the top edge of the duct surrounding the air intake grille.
- Remove the air intake grille by releasing the lock tabs at the front of the grille and tilting the front of the grille upward.
- Remove the two Phillips screws securing the electrical cable housing.
- Move the wiring harness as necessary to access and remove the four 7mm self tapping mounting fasteners.
- Pull and tilt the duct forward to release it from the firewall and the sealing groove. It may require some effort to release.
- Once loosened, lift the duct upward out of its sealing groove and away from the firewall.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, making sure to seat the duct properly in its sealing groove.