Drain, Refill & Filter Service
- The lubricant must be hot before it is drained. Drive the car until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
- Remove the filler plug to provide a vent. Be sure to remove this first. If the fluid is drained and trouble is encountered removing the fill plug, the car will be out of service until a method to remove the stuck fill plug is found.
- Place a suitable drain pan underneath the transmission drain and then remove the 17mm hex head drain plug.
- Allow the lubricant to drain completely. Clean the magnetic drain plug of any excessive metal particles, reinstall and torque to specification.
Manual transmission drain and fill plug torque:
- Using the recommended fluid, fill and top off the fluid level as necessary. Refer to the filling drivetrain fluids heading in this section and add lubricant through the access hole on the side of the transmission until the level is at the edge of the hole, as outlined earlier.
- When the lubricant level is up to the edge of the filler hole, replace the filler plug. Drive the car for a few minutes, stop, and check for any leaks.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle in a level plane.
- Place a suitable drain pan under the transmission sump. Remove the dipstick on vehicles so equipped. On models with locking dipsticks, tilt the top of the dipstick to unlock.
- On models not equipped with a drain plug, drain the fluid using the oil filler tube by loosening and removing the oil filler tube from the sump pan. Be ready to catch fluid as it drains.
- On models equipped with a drain plug, remove the drain plug and catch the draining fluid.
- If removed, install the oil filler tube, and torque to 71 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
- On models with a drain plug, replace the gasket or crush washer on the drain plug and torque as follows:
A4S 270 R, A4S 310 transmission, drain and fill plugs:
A5S 310 Z transmissions:
- Initially fill the transmission with the proper amount of the recommended fluid, then refer to the fluid level checking procedures in this section and top off as necessary.
Initial transmission fluid fill amounts:
- Check and adjust the fluid level as outlined in this section.
- Test drive and check for fluid leakage and normal operation.