Removal & Installation
On E36 models equipped with the EWS II anti-theft system, The ring antenna surrounding the ignition switch must be removed as follows;
- Disable the SRS.
- Remove the right side lower dash trim and lower steering column cover.
- Follow the routing of the antenna ring wiring and remove any cable ties as necessary to allow adequate slack in the wiring for removal.
- Carefully pry the antenna ring off the ignition switch.
- If necessary disconnect the antenna electrical connector auxiliary relay panel.
- Insert the ignition key and turn 60 °.
- Use a 3/64 inch (1.2mm) wire to press down into the small bore on the face of the lock.
- On vehicles manufactured up to October 1995, turn the lock cylinder back 12° to release.
- Pull the lock cylinder out.
- If there is no bore, remove the steering column trim panel and press the bore on the side of the cylinder with a suitable punch to remove the cylinder.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.