Removal & Installation
Some models covered by this manual are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in Section 6.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the trim panel on the lower left side.
- Remove the steering column casing lower section.
- Press in the retaining hooks on both sides and remove the switch.
- Press the switch in position until the retaining hooks engage it in place. Make sure that the ignition switch is correctly positioned with respect to the steering wheel lock.
- Attach all electrical connectors and install the plug.
- The remaining components are installed in the reverse order from which they were removed.
- Install the steering wheel and connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Disarm the SRS when working on the steering column, if equipped.
- Remove the steering wheel, the trim panel below the steering column and the steering column lower casing.
- Disconnect the ignition switch harness and press the clips in securing the switch. Pull the switch off the lock assembly.
- Check the position of the switch and install in reverse order.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal to disarm the SRS when working on the steering column, if equipped.
- Remove the lower dash panel mounting screws and then pull outward on the left side of the panel to release and remove the panel downward.
- Remove the lower steering column cover mounting screws, then remove the cover.
- Wearing eye protection, clean away the paint covering the ignition switch set screws. The screws are very small and the paint acts as a locking agent and must be thoroughly removed.
- Using a small flat blade screwdriver, loosen the screws about 4-5 turns and slide the switch away from the steering lock cylinder, then detach the electrical connector.
- Slide the lock cylinder in place, but do not force it. If the cylinder does not seat, turn the ignition lock cylinder slowly with the ignition key until the switch seats. Test the switch operation before locking in place.
- Tighten the set screws until they seat snuggly, be careful to not overtighten.
- Apply touch up paint over the screw heads as a mild locking agent.
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.