Removal & Installation
- Remove and support the driveshaft from the transmission output flange.
- Clean the area around the seal and the flange.
- Place a drain pan under the transmission.
- Support the output flange and remove the retaining nut.
- Using a seal removal tool or its equivalent, remove the seal.
- Inspect the transmission casting for sharp edges and chamfer if necessary.
- Install the seal by pressing it squarely and evenly into the transmission casting.
- Apply a thin film of light grease or petroleum jelly to the lips of the seal and onto the area of the flange that contacts the lips of the seal.
- Install the output flange and apply a medium strength locking compound onto the threads of the retaining nut and torque the nut as follows:
All except GS5-39DZ F transmissions:
GS5-39DZ F transmissions:
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal